Located in the Rio Grande Valley of South Texas, the City of Donna is part
of Hidalgo County and the McAllen-Edinburg-Mission Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA). As of the census of 2000, the population of Donna was 14,768 people. In 2009 the estimated population was 17,458. In Hidalgo County, the US Census Bureau estimated the population to have reached 741,152 in 2009, a 30.1% increase since 2000.
The city’s motto is “The City with a Heart, in the Heart of the Valley.” The region was originally part of the La Blanca Land Grant, given to Lino Cabazos on May 19, 1834. In 1902 Thomas Jefferson Hooks formed the La Blanca Agricultural Company, which purchased 23,000 acres in Hidalgo County. Part of this purchase was given to his daughter, Donna Hooks Fletcher. In 1904, the St. Louis, Brownsville, and Mexico Railway reached the area and a town was formed that July. In 1907, the town was given a depot station, which was named “Donna” in Hooks’ honor.
Donna is served by the Donna Independent School District, South Texas Independent School District and IDEA Public Schools. In fact, IDEA’s Donna campus, its original campus, is an Exemplary public school system that was ranked the #13 best high school in the nation by U.S. News and World Report in 2010.
Río Bravo, Tamaulipas
Río Bravo formally Ciudad Río Bravo is a city in northern part of the Mexican state of Tamaulipas. It is the municipal seat of Río Bravo municipality. The city lies east of Reynosa and just south of the Río Bravo del Norte (Rio Grande) and was also named after it. Directly across the U.S.-Mexico border lies Donna, Texas. The municipality stretches southward into less densely populated territory and is slowly becoming a large and popular industrial center conveniently located right next to the booming “Maquiladora” centers in Reynosa and Matamoros.
At the census of 2005 the city reported a population of 83,736, the seventh largest city in the state, while the municipality had a population of 106,842. The municipality has an areal extent of 1,562.94 km² (603.45 sq mi). The largest other community is Nuevo Progreso, in the northeastern part of the municipality, on the Río Grande.